Volume: 1 Gallon
- 8 Pounds Organic Fuji Apples
- 4 Pounds of Organic Rome Apples
- 4 Pounds of Organic Stayman Winesap Apples
- 1 Large Organic Pink Grapefruit
- 2-3 Grams Lallemand Abbaye Yeast
- Add pectic enzyme to the fermenter.
- Press apples and strain into the fermenter.
- Press the grapefruit, peel and all, and strain into the fermenter.
- Add the Abbaye yeast and seal with airlock.
- Ferment for 2-3 weeks.
- Rack the cider and age for 6-8 weeks.
- Filter the cider using a 1.0 micron filter.
- Force carbonate the cider to 2.25 volumes of CO2.
- Package, chill, and serve.
This hard cider recipe makes a dry, acidic, and bitter hard cider that has a peachy hue and medium effervescence. I like my citrus hard cider recipes to have the bitter oils from the peel as it adds depth to the hard cider. The hard cider pairs well with foods that have strong flavors as the grapefruit can dominant. We had it with pizza but we’ve also paired it with burgers and spicy soup.
Do you need more details?
My book covers all the details on making craft hard cider.